My Best Friend Is The Little Mermaid

My Best Friend Is The Little Mermaid
Book cover

Monday, March 26, 2012

Book Excerpt: Nice To Eat You...

I darted out of the way as he came at me, just fast enough to get him really riled up. His teeth rang together horribly as they clamped around empty water; that made him especially angry and he lunged at me again. Using all my speed, I zipped around him so that I was hiding behind his tail and for a moment he couldn’t find me. I held my breath as he looked to the right and to the left but he couldn’t spot me; he started spinning in frustrated circles, I spun with him remaining beside his tail so that I didn’t fall into his line of vision. He got bored of this quickly enough and stopped circling, while I, caught in the motion continued to spin, right into his snout.

It surprised both of us but I actually managed to recover first. I shot away from him as fast as I could. Then we played tag for a while, just for the fun of it. The shark was always on my tail, snapping at it with those awful teeth. I darted around weeds, and sand dunes and piles of sunken treasures but I just couldn’t escape him. I was faster, but I was also wearing down…
With the last of my energy I shot as far ahead of him as I could and dived behind a large junk pile. I waited for the shark, catching my breath and lifting the only weapon I had- my shoulder bag. I wound it up, waited for him to come around the bend, and then clocked him, right in the gills. I heard a crunch and was almost certain that it was my shell phone being crushed inside my bag, but that was the least of my problems.

The shark bounced away from me, more stunned than injured, but he quickly regained himself. He made that weird growly sound that runs your blood cold and ground his teeth together. He approached me again, this time advancing slowly; I saw blood coming from the wound I had given him. I knew then that things had gotten personal; and that that wound would most likely be the last and only point I’d get in the battle. He was so close I could count the millions of rows of razor sharp teeth in his gargantuan mouth; they shone like pearls, only far less blunt. I backed up against the trash heap behind me; I was boxed in- done for. The shark snapped his jaws at me as we both prepared for the final blow. I closed my eyes…

No comments:

Post a Comment